“Questions are never indiscrete”
Posted April 27, 2007on:
1. If you could study in an unlimited amount of fields over the course of your lifetime, what would you study?
I’d start in ancient Rome, specifically its political and artistic culture. Then I’d jump to Greek mythology, learn about that and how the Romans modified it to suit them. Then I’d delve into neuroscience and end my life with art history. In my spare time I’d learn a new language or two.
2. What book has been most influential in your life?
I hesitate whenever I’m asked this question although I have an answer ready. Anyway there would be three:
1) Legends of Long Ago (Collier’s Junior Classics Vol. VII) – it started my life-long interest in myth.
2) The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born by Ayi Kwei Armah – the novel that awakened my political consciousness, that forced me to start looking at the bigger picture not only at home but abroad.
3) First three volumes of In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust (haven’t read the rest yet) – I value you the aesthetic above all, in general, and these were the books that brought me to that realisation.
3. What is your biggest fear?
Hmmm. Mental stagnation.
4. You love art in addition to literature, so if you were an artist (and you may be, I haven’t been reading long) what style and influences would you most likely embrace?
I wish I were an artist. If I were I’d probably be some kind of 21st century symbolist, although I’m not behind the entire philosophy; I do like my Realism. Most of the art revered in today’s rarefied circles is utter trash.
5. What makes you laugh uncontrollably?
Ummmm…my roommates. Oscar Wilde plays.
Directions: Want some questions of your own? Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me”I will respond by e-mailing you five questions (if your email is not on your profile, email me your desire to be interviewed so I know your address). I get to pick them, and you have to answer them all. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.